This is a super-detailed guide for choosing the best video conferencing software for your business.
We created it from real-world experience and extensive reviews of the top video conferencing software packages available at the moment. For this reason, our recommendations are informed and logical with advice that you can rely on.
In other words, we’ve differentiated the best of the best so you can make the right decision for your needs.
So, if you want to:
- Read in-depth reviews of the best video conferencing software;
- Understand their differences and suitability;
- Learn more about video conferencing software;
Then, you’ll love the super-detailed information in this post.
Let’s get into it.
What’s the best video conferencing software?
Zoom – #1 Choice
With the advent of the COVID-19 pandemic, Zoom has experienced a meteoric rise in the number of people and businesses using the software for online meetings and conferencing.
Founded in 2011, Zoom seeks to help you ‘express ideas, connect to others, and build toward a future limited only by your imagination’.
A foremost video conferencing software, Zoom is intuitive, scalable, and a secure choice for large enterprises, small businesses, and individuals alike.
Headquartered in San Jose, California, Zoom’s communications platform is the only one that started with video as its foundation, and it has set the standard for innovation ever since.
With Zoom, you can:
- Make seamless and secure video communications
- Engage new audiences and elevate customer experiences
- Seamlessly bring together remote and in-person teams for work
- Get an all-in-one communications platform
It promises to help you connect, communicate, and express your ideas so you can get more done as a team. As a result, customers who switch to Zoom report a growth in performance, trust, and engagement.
- Build stronger relationships, supercharge collaboration, and create engaging meeting experiences.
- Provides a global cloud phone solution for secure call routing, call queues, and elevating calls to meetings
- Build powerful applications, custom integrations, and new functionalities that enrich your Zoom experiences
- Bring the functionality of the office to your home with video meetings, whiteboarding, and phone calls on personal devices.
- Get hosted online experiences that are easily monetized and scalable to new audiences.
- Enhance and streamline your Zoom experience with 1,000+ apps and integrations for scheduling, collaboration, and more.
- With Zoom webinars you can reach a wider audience, communicate company-wide, and simplify training and onboarding.
- Adapt your conference rooms to changing workforce needs to balance office and remote experiences.
- Zoom’s chat solution simplifies workflows, boosts productivity, and ensures employees can collaborate securely, both internally and externally.
Zoom offers a variety of plans to suit different needs and features.
The ‘Basic’ Zoom plan is free. It offers unlimited meetings for up to 40 minutes.
The premium plans are as follows:
- ‘Pro’ – $149.90 per year (per license)
- ‘Business’ – $199.90 per year (per license)
- ‘Enterprise’ – $240 per year (per license)
The ‘Basic’ Zoom plan is the best plan for most people because it has all the features most people will ever need.
At $149.90 per year for a license, Zoom’s ‘Pro’ plan is more suited to business and corporations.
Get Zoom, here:
The meeting life cycle—from scheduling to follow-up—can be difficult to manage. However, with Microsoft Teams meeting solution you can automate the full life cycle of meetings. This allows you to save time so you can be focused and empowered to get more done.
Microsoft Teams is a proprietary business communication platform developed by Microsoft, as part of the Microsoft 365 family of products.
A great software for chat, calls, or video, it enables anyone to engage at any time, bringing everyone closer.
With Microsoft Teams, you can:
- Share your opinion and have fun with your team through group chat or one-to-one messages.
- Instantly go from group chat to video conference with the touch of a button.
- Make and receive calls directly in Microsoft Teams with advanced features like group calling, cloud voicemail, and call transfers.
- Easily find, share, and edit files in real time using familiar apps like Word, PowerPoint, and Excel in Microsoft Teams.
Set up your team’s space with all the apps you need so you can stay in just one place instead of jumping around. Plus, your docs, photos, videos, chat history, and meeting notes are always there, so it’s easier to work together.
- Flexible work is here to stay, so you can work from anywhere with Microsoft Teams.
- Make meetings more personal and encourage teamwork when you virtually meet face-to-face.
- You can enhance meetings and boost productivity by sharing your screen in Microsoft Teams.
- Hold secure, interactive meetings and webinars for 1,000 attendees and broadcasts for up to 10,000.
- Decide how you show up with virtual meeting background images in Microsoft Teams meetings.
- With Microsoft Teams and a mobile device, people can join meetings on the go with a global dial-in number or contact each other directly.
- Start Microsoft Teams meetings with ‘one-touch join’ on Teams Rooms using devices from certified partners such as Logitech, Lenovo, HP, and lots more.
- Call from Teams, Outlook, or a mobile device. Call to and from Teams apps.
- Microsoft Teams Phone allows you to make and receive PSTN phone calls.
- Make video and conferencing calls through the VoIP or IP phone service.
- Handle all of your organization’s internal and external calls with PBX
- Keep the team connected no matter where work takes you with Microsoft Teams through Instant Messaging
- Securely access, share, and collaborate on files from virtually anywhere with Microsoft Teams.
Microsoft Teams is available for free or you can get Teams as part of Microsoft 365.
For the Microsoft Teams free plan, there is no commitment
Details of the Microsoft 365 plans are as follows:
- ‘Microsoft 365 Business Basic’ – USD$5.00 per user every month (annual commitment)
- ‘Microsoft 365 Business Standard’ – USD$12.50 per user every month (annual commitment)
The best plan for most people is the Microsoft Teams free plan because it has all the features most individuals will ever need.
For businesses and corporations, the Microsoft 365 Business Basic plan at USD$5.00 per user per month is the best plan.
Get Microsoft Teams, here:
Webex by Cisco is a leading enterprise solution for video conferencing, online meetings, screen share, and webinars.
It is a market-leading video conferencing software that powers a new way of collaborating centered around the work you do, not where you do it—whether it’s in the office, at home, or anywhere in between.
This means that with Webex, you get an all-in-one app for everything. And everyone. It provides features for calling, meetings, messaging, and events in the cloud for teams of all sizes.
What can Webex do for you?
- Adaptable to suit any workstyle, role, or device, so you can choose when, where, and how you work;
- Offers equal experiences for everyone regardless of geography, language, or communication style;
- Built to be secure and private by default. It can defend against threats no matter where you’re working;
- Everything your business needs to collaborate.
Because Webex integrates seamlessly into 100+ industry-leading apps, it gives you the opportunity to work with the tools you love.
Webex offers two main solutions, Webex App for personal and small businesses, as well as the Webex Suite, which is purpose-built for hybrid work.
- Provides enterprise-grade calling for your small business.
- Its powerful cloud calling features cover all the bases with features such as merging, call waiting, holding, forwarding, do not disturb, and many more.
- Move your call from one device to another, or turn it into a video meeting
- Take more business calls with a phone menu, extensions, and intelligent call routing features.
- Stay connected and secure with 99.99% committed availability.
- Bring teams together in meetings that are engaging, intelligent, and inclusive.
- Reduce distractions and interruptions with advanced noise removal and speech enhancement.
- Use simple hand gestures to express your feelings without saying a word.
- Enjoy productive conversations by leaving the note-taking to Webex.
- Decide who and what you want to focus on by customizing your stage view.
- Connect in real-time or any other time with advanced features for group messaging, file-sharing, whiteboarding, and more.
- Bring everyone together with secure, intelligent messaging organized by workstreams.
- Chat individually or in groups with always-on messaging.
- Easily edit, delete, forward, flag, pin, and mark messages as unread.
- Securely share files and content.
- Easily collaborate with anyone outside your organization by simply adding their email address to a space.
- Review and edit OneDrive and SharePoint Online files from within a chat space.
- Schedule or host impromptu space meetings.
- Make and take calls across all devices with a powerful enterprise cloud phone system.
- Drive more engaging meetings that minimize interruptions and let everyone participate, equally.
- Keep work flowing in between meetings with rich messaging, secure file sharing, and whiteboarding.
- Ensure active participation in meetings and events with six different types of polling and interactive Q&A.
- Organize professional virtual events on a platform that delivers the scale, reach, and interactivity you expect.
- Create engaging meeting experiences with immersive share, custom layouts, virtual backgrounds, and breakout rooms.
- Automatically remove distracting background noises and voices, take notes and action items, and transcribe meetings.
- Ensure equal contribution from everyone regardless of language, geography, or communication style.
- Automatic notetaking, action items, closed captioning, and more with Webex Assistant.
- Real-time translation for 100 languages.
With the free Webex plan, you’ll get meetings with 100 participants, HD video, screen sharing, and a personal room. You can use it for free, as long as you like.
Other pricing information is not readily available on the Webex website. Users would have to contact the Webex sales team.
You can get Webex, here:
Created and marketed by LogMeIn, GoToMeeting is a web-hosted service for video conferencing, online meetings, and desktop sharing. It provides a service that enables the user to hold meetings with other computer users, colleagues, clients, or customers via the Internet in real time.
GoToMeeting powers your ‘work-from-anywhere’ world. This software delivers a flawless, engaging experience that’s moving your business into the future every step of the way – from scheduling to follow-up.
What you get from GoToMeeting:
- Meet confidently with crystal clear audio and video over a simple and intuitive interface.
- GoToMeeting maintains the latest industry standard security practices and global data protection requirements.
- Pick the plan that’s best for your business. Annual pricing starts as low as $12 a month.
- GoToMeeting’s Smart Meeting Assistant – complete with notes, action items and highlights – ensures you’re not wasting time on mundane tasks.
- A video-first approach makes meetings more personal, so you can drive stronger connections with your peers.
- Joining a meeting is now 65% faster than before. Save time and get right to the point, so you can meet up and collaborate quickly.
GoToMeeting has been named the leader in web conferencing by Gartner for seven years running. Also, it is consistently ranked among the highest in customer satisfaction and support.
- Share your desktop, smartphone or tablet screen quickly and securely from anywhere.
- Integrated Voice over IP conference calls that saves you time and money.
- Change the dynamics of the meeting with face-to-face HD video conferencing.
- Start an online meeting from your mobile device right away and keep it going.
- Record your meetings in real-time, take notes, mark action items, and share them after the meeting.
- Hardware bundled with professional, user-friendly video conferencing software in one simple kit.
- Test and preview your webcam, whether you’re getting ready to start a session or in one.
- Direct attention using drawing tools while sharing your screen.
- Effortlessly change presenters so anyone can share their screen.
- Customize your webcam background so you can truly work from “anywhere.”
- Create a custom meeting link so you can schedule and attend meetings with ease.
- Join or host meetings on-the-go with the companion app (iOS & Android).
- Host or attend meetings on the go with a reliable, distraction-free experience.
- Give or take control of your meeting by sharing your keyboard and mouse controls.
- Give participants added flexibility to dial in over the phone.
- GoToMeeting automatically determines if suspicious behavior is taking place, such as login from an unauthorized device from a remote location.
- Add an extra layer of security to your meeting, when your meeting is locked participants will have to wait to be let in.
- Embedded security ensures that every interaction you make using GoToMeeting is encrypted before it is sent.
You can try GoToMeeting free for 14 days to see if it meets your needs.
Other available plans are:
- ‘Professional’ – $12.00 per organizer per month, billed annually (150 participants)
- ‘Business’ – $16.00 per organizer per month, billed annually (250 participants)
- ‘Enterprise’ – Price available on quote (up to 3000 participants)
At $12 per month, ‘Professional’ is the best plan for most people because it has all the features most people will ever need.
Get your free trial with GoToMeeting, here:
Skype is an amazing tool for working remotely with colleagues or keeping in touch with friends. Millions of individuals and businesses use Skype to make free video and voice one-to-one and group calls.
This software is also great for sending instant messages and sharing files with other people on Skype. You can use Skype on whatever works best for you – on your mobile, computer or tablet.
Skype started out as an independent company more than 17 years ago. However, the software is now owned and developed by Microsoft for professional and consumer use.
What can Skype do for you?
- Make calls or send SMS messages to friends, family and colleagues directly to their phone, anywhere in the world.
- Get a local phone number and answer incoming calls from anywhere in the world with your Skype app. This feature is available in 24 countries.
- Let friends & family know who is calling and make sure your calls get answered by setting your caller ID.
- Forward incoming calls to a phone number, another Skype account or send it to voicemail.
- Call friends, family and colleagues abroad at great Skype rates from any mobile or landline.
The basic features of Skype such as video and audio calls, as well as instant messaging, are free to use when a user downloads the app. However, Skype features such as calling or texting mobile numbers across the world are paid-for services.
- Experience crystal clear audio and HD video in one to one or group calls – now with call reactions too.
- Instantly react to any message with fun reactions or use @mentions to grab someone’s attention.
- Easily share presentations, holiday photos or anything on your screen during a call with integrated screen sharing.
- Record Skype calls to capture special moments, note key decisions and use live subtitles to read the words that are spoken.
- Reach friends who aren’t online with affordable international calling rates to mobiles and landlines.
- Keep your sensitive conversations private with industry standard end to end encryption.
- Find each other during a first-time meeting, or tell your friends where the party’s at.
- Turn on the Background effects feature to instantly and subtly blur your background.
- Share photos, videos, and other files up to 300 MB by simply dragging and dropping files into your conversation window.
- Enjoy real-time translation of voice calls, video calls and instant messages.
- The Raise hand feature allows participants to be heard in a call.
- Get your Skype calls forwarded to any phone.
- Get people sharing and talking about the content on your website. Create share buttons.
For the most part, Skype is free to download and use, as if Skype Meet Now which allows for up to 100 participants.
Skype for Business has been replaced by Microsoft Teams.
You can download Skype, here:
Google Meet (formerly Google Hangouts)
Google Meet originally started out as Google Hangouts, an app developed by Google for cross-platform messaging. Initially developed as a feature of Google+, Hangouts became standalone in 2013, when Google started incorporating features from Google Talk and Google+ Messenger into Hangouts. At the time Google had also begun the process of integrating features of its telephony product – Google Voice – into Hangouts.
In 2017, Google started developing Hangouts into an enterprise communication product, splitting it into two different services: Google Meet and Google Chat. In June 2020, Google started moving users from the “classic” version of Hangouts to Google Meet and Google Chat.
What can Google Meet do for you?
- Meet uses the same protections that Google uses to secure your information and safeguard your privacy.
- Meet video conferences are encrypted in transit, and the array of safety measures are continuously updated for added protection.
- Get the whole crew together in Google Meet, where you can present business proposals, collaborate on chemistry assignments, or just catch up face to face.
- Invited guests can join an online video conference from their computer using any modern web browser—no software to install.
- On mobile devices, users can join from the Google Meet app.
- Google Meet adjusts to your network speed, ensuring high quality video calls wherever you are.
- With live captions powered by Google’s speech recognition technology, Google Meet makes meetings more accessible.
Google is making enterprise-grade video conferencing available to everyone. Anyone with a Google Account can create an online meeting with up to 100 participants and meet for up to 60 minutes per meeting.
- Simple scheduling, easy recording, and adaptive layouts help people stay engaged and connected.
- Present documents, slides, and spreadsheets by showing your entire screen or just a window.
- Invite up to 250 internal or external participants to a meeting.
- Use the Google Meet app to join a video call, or join audio-only by calling the dial-in number in the meeting invite.
- Meetings are safe by default. Owners can control who can join the meeting; only people approved by the meeting owner can enter.
- Live stream events such as town halls and sales meetings for up to 100,000 viewers within your domain.
- Connect with anyone—coworkers, clients, classmates—as often as you’d like.
- If you’re using the free version of Google Meet, anyone you invite will need to sign in with a Google Account to join the meeting for added security.
- Follow along in real time with automated live captions powered by Google’s speech recognition technology.
- Google Meet works on any device. Join a meeting from your desktop/laptop, Android, or iPhone/iPad.
- After clicking your meeting code or link, you can adjust your camera and mic and see how you look before entering the meeting.
- Meet automatically switches the layout in a video meeting to display the most active content and participants.
- Anyone can easily pin, mute, or remove participants.
- Make meetings more engaging with live messaging during calls.
- Integration with Google and Microsoft Office apps. Join meetings directly from Gmail or Calendar.
- Microsoft Office users can be added to an invite and see meetings on their Microsoft Outlook calendar.
- All video meetings are encrypted in transit by default between the client and Google.
Anyone with a Google Account can create a video meeting, invite up to 100 participants, and meet for up to 60 minutes per meeting for free.
Individuals can host secure video meetings for free with Google Meet. Teams can use Google Workspace Essentials to get advanced Meet features plus Drive, Docs, Sheets, and Slides designed for business.
- ‘Google Meet’ – Free
- ‘Google Workspace Essentials’ – $8 USD per active user/month*
Have a go with Google Meet for free, here:
Zoho Meeting is a secure online meeting platform and webinar solution that helps people find new ways to collaborate and work remotely with efficacy. This highly secure online meeting software allows users to enhance their remote collaboration experience.
It features integrated audio conferencing that allows users share their desktop and conduct in-person meetings with other users. It is a great tool for presentations.
What can it do for you?
- Simple to use and easily scalable
- Round the clock support
- Industrial standard security
- Enterprise level experience for all
- Interactive web meeting tools
- Affordable, no hidden pricing structure
- Deep integration with Zoho’s ecosystem and other major third-party services
Not only that, but Zoho is also fully committed to protecting your privacy and data while utilising their meeting software. To this end, they encrypt audio, video, and screen sharing to keep your information safe as it travels through the internet.
- Launch or join meetings and webinars right from your browser.
- Revisit any topic discussed during a meeting or webinar through recordings.
- Overcome poor internet and join sessions by dialing in through your phone.
- Automatically add events to your email calendar as you receive meeting invitations and webinar registration notifications in your inbox.
- Add team members to your Zoho Meeting account. Schedule team meetings and add members as presenters.
- Build trust and connect better by collaborating face to face through video and audio conferencing.
- Start meetings from anywhere, and join meetings and webinars directly from your mobile device.
- Communicate through real-time video and collaborate efficiently with screen sharing.
- Keep your meetings secure using features like Lock meetings and password protection.
Zoho Meeting has different plans to suit different needs. The prices range from $3 to $12 for 10 – 100 participants respectively. All the plans have the same features, so the best plan at any particular point in time will depend on your requirements.
- Try Zoho Meeting free for 14 days to see if it works for your needs.
- ‘Meeting’ – $3 – $12 per month (10 – 100 participants)
Give Zoho Meeting a go with their 14-day free trial, here:
What is Video Conferencing Software?
Video conferencing software is a software that makes such online gatherings including audio/video meetings and seminars possible. Employees at all levels can utilize this software to host virtual meetings with other employees, customers, or business partners irrespective of the individual location.
It offers built-in features such as chat, screen sharing, and recording.
This software is designed to make international or long-distance communication attainable while reducing travel costs at the same time and enhancing collaboration between groups. Video conferencing software can be useful at every level within an organization’s structure.
With video conferencing software, in-person attendance to meetings is no longer necessary whether it is an important meeting or a quick chat. This makes an employee’s daily schedule more convenient, ensures an open line of communication between teams while also improving the relationship between the establishment and clients.
With some video conferencing systems, you will enjoy integration with CRM software and marketing automation all of which enables the synchronization of critical business data into conferences where you deem it necessary. The integration also enables you to follow up on original communications and update the accounts of your contacts.
Before a product can qualify as a video conferencing system, it must offer the following:
- Enable online audio and visual communication between a party of two or more.
- Empower the video conference host to modify existing specifications and invite guests to meetings.
- Allow screen sharing and chats during meetings.
- Provide options for recording meetings to ensure the possibility of future references and presentations.
Frequently Asked Questions
What are the most important features of Video Conferencing Software?
Reliability and ease of use remain the most important features to look out for when selecting the best Video Conferencing Software.
Due to the difficulties experienced while joining meetings, people lean towards a system that is not complicated. The best systems will not take all the time to be set up for the host and joining the meeting shouldn’t be difficult for attendees.
Depending on individual needs and capacity, the cost of the software may be considered. Some businesses and entrepreneurs may need to hold longer or larger meetings with recordings that personal users may not necessarily need.
What are the Advantages of Video Conferencing Software?
Convenience and speed are paramount. With Video Conferencing Software, you can see and talk to someone from any part of the world with ease, just ensure you have fast internet. The software allows you to hold individual meetings, host small groups or entertain a larger audience with relative ease, you could pitch a potential client, converse with family members, and more; this software makes communication with others easy especially in the post-Covid world.
What is the cost of Video Conferencing Software?
The cost of video conferencing software is dependent on your choice of software. Some are available for free or with a limited free tier option while others cost $10-$20 for each user every month. You have the option of monthly or annual billing for each user.
Is Video Conferencing software worth the cost?
Depending on your needs, paying for video conferencing software is worth the cost. A lot of people can survive on the free software or the limited tier and won’t have to pay for anything.
But, if your business is interested in security, branding, and a curated experience for your guests, a paid platform is definitely worth the price. You have a lot of options at varying costs out there so it shouldn’t be too difficult to find something that suits your needs.